Monday 16 July 2012

Next Monday!

Hello everyone...  (she says hopeful that someone is reading!)


I had a wicked weekend- When I work weekends I work one 8hour shift on Saturday and then I am on-call until 730am Monday morning--  and during the summer it is usually pretty busy-- So I spent the weekend at the hospital-- then going home- just getting into something - then getting called back to the hospital--   anyway in short- I survived!

However, I got up this morning made some coffee and as I sit her sipping I realised-- this time next week I could very well be on my way to a whole new life adventure!!   I have an appointment with a Doctor at the Surgical Weight Loss Centre--  I am looking into LapBand!  (SOOOO excited!!)


Now, don't think that this is any kind of rush decision!  If you have read my last posts you know that I have been overweight and struggled with it my whole life.  I also have a friend and her husband who have gotten lapband and it really seems it was just what they needed!  I have been talking to K (my friend with lapband)  for awhile now-- I have been having a harder time putting myself out there (the cruel world haha) since my accident and because of the resulting weight gain-- and this past winter I had a bit of a SAD (seasonal affective disorder)  which K really helped me through.  


I believe in March I first asked K about her experience and her opinion of the matter.  She has stressed it is NOT a magic fix- instead it is a tool that will help support you when you may not think you can do it yourself.   I put this idea on the back burner, made an appointment with my family physician to talk about my SAD.


My appointment with my GP ended up getting pushed around for over 3 months-- don't get me started! And of course by that time I was feeling better (more sun, nice weather and all)  and I never did bring it up during the appointment.. I did tell her my weight was bothering me- my feet ankles and knees are starting to hurt, my back as well.  I don't feel healthy anymore etc etc.  She said that she would weight me and advised me to focus on healthy eating, for six months, to make those habits stick-- not to necessarily loss weight- after six months we will see how I am feeling.... really?   At the time I though it would be a good plan....




Then one day at work (I am X-ray technologist that also does Mammography-breast x-rays)  I had a funny co-incidence where three of my patients had had breast reductions.  In conversation about their breast health, their reductions came up. Each and everyone one of them basically said they had absolutely NO regrets about the reduction except for one (and all had the same regret)  it was I wish I had done it sooner-  there was a sense that they had wasted time dealing with this issue-- and if only they had listened to their family, friends and doctors they would have had those extra years to be 'burden' free. 


SO this is what inspired me to read countless blogs about people on their weight loss journey-- and to book the appointment at the Dr.'s office next Monday..  I have full support from my Mom and surprisingly my Dad is also very supportive of me looking into this option!  




Pretty excited!! YEAH!  I have decided that I am going to tell no one at work (this is hard for me!!) I work in a very small community and people can be very very judgemental about what people spend their money one - even when it is none of their business!!  And I don't want anything silly like that making me have second thoughts!!


Thats enough for me right now-- need to get moving today!
Have a great day Blog world!


3 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm reading :) Congrats on taking the first step and getting information. I understand how hard that can be. It took me years to get up the courage to look into getting the band. Please feel free to ask me any questions. Glad to hear you have support of your family, and now you have blog land support as well, so I have no doubt you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Saw you were a new follower and wanted to return the favor. Just make sure you do your research (failure rates, etc.). It's not so much complications as your friend being absolutely right that it's not an automatic "fix." Good luck at your doctor's appointment...I'll be following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lap Band is a great choice it has worked amazingly for me, I was banded three years ago. I don't think you will regret it! =)

    Breanne
    www.ladylapband.com

    ReplyDelete