Monday 23 July 2012

Met my Surgeon!

Made the trip to Mississauga today with my Mom to meet my Lap band Surgeon.  It is about a 3 hour drive and I had some concerns and questions that I needed answered to make my final educated decision to get the band.

I met Dr. Cobourn today- what a great experience! Right from the time I opened the door to the clinic I felt at ease!

I ofcourse already had done TONS of research- but it was nice to go through everything with him in person and have my Mom there to formulate an unbiased opinion!  Originally I had planed on bringing my friend K with me (she had her Lap Band put in over a year ago) however, I decided that it would be better to have my Mom along- since she will be a big part of my support team!  

Found out that there is a remote fill clinic at a bariatric clinic just an hour and a half away- that also has support groups available- which was nice to know I was worried about follow up (especially during winter months) if I had to travel 3 hours to see them at the clinic- and of course they have phone and Internet as well as Skye support available as well!

So, I am pretty excited! I just need to make sure that my financing is in order- I had thought that I would get a medical loan- however, I looked into it and the interest rates are pretty high.... so I will be looking into other areas to pay for the surgery- this is the only thing that has made me have second thought about the surgery- however, I discussed it with my Mom and she feels that the time is right for me now- and that we will figure something out-- feels so great to have that support behind me! My Dad is also very supportive, and I am also gratefull for that!

I am still not going to tell anyone, except my friend K (who already know)  I don't want anyones opinions weaving their way into my mind and making me doubt myself on this decision.  I have to call my family doctor and let them know that they will be getting a fax from the clinic- not sure how my Doc is going to react-- not sure how she feels about banding-- but it comes down to it being my life-- But I still hope that she will help support me during my journey!

SO tentatively my surgery date will be Friday October 5th--  Wish my schedule was more open I would love to get this going even sooner!  But with the summer and the schedule being out already-- I will just have to keep going until October--  2 whole months away ---  :o(  Oh well I guess that will give me time to clean out my pantry of all the foods I won't be eating leading up to and after my surgery!

I am already trying to be more conscious of how fast I eat my food and what I am eating-- I am NOT going to let this surgery date become and excuse to go crazy eating everything in sight! Not a good plan in my mind!


Night all-- Work tomorrow!

:o/

4 comments:

  1. October 5th! How exciting! I'm an October bandster too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Exciting! October will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also getting banded Oct 16th. I got my approved today. So excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH!! Very exciting! Wish I had insurance that would cover the costs! (I dont think it is very common to have coverage in Canada- unless you have private health insurance- which is not common- I think) But it will all be worth it in the end-- and I guess I get to go on a budget life change! (dont want to say diet!!)

    ReplyDelete