Monday 1 October 2012

(From last Friday) One week to go!

What an ... interesting week I have had!   This pre-op diet thing isn't too bad--  I am allowed 3 high protein shakes and up to 250 calories of low glycemic vegetables--  cucumber, lettuce. cauliflower. broccolie etc...     I have had to compromise a couple of time-- I had a business lunch meeting on Monday and it would have been pretty awkward to just sit there sipping my shake-- so I basically ordered a spinach salad with only the spinach and mushrooms-- and dressing on the side which I only dunked my fork in a couple of times--- not bad I figure-- and then on my way home I drank my shake ('yum')

At work I have been subject to a few questionings-- I just answer its a protein shake that I am drinking and that I am on a "limited ingredient diet".   Being in the health field most people figure that I am doing an elimination diet to determine what allergens I am sensitive to-- they can assume whatever they want.  

Last night was the only time I really felt like I was being put under the spot light with 20 questions--

   I had just come into work for the evening shift and there was a really nice fruit basket on the counter-- a thank you to the department.  A nice healthy thank you pressy-- not the norm around here-- and of course-- I'm not allowed fruit.  

  I had a couple grapes (I admit..) and then I guess I said something like "I shouldn't be eating these"-- and that is when the 20 questions began...  Why can't you have fruit?  Are you on a diet?  Are you trying to lose weight or what? All coming from a colleague and close friend of mine "N"

  It just struck me off guard- what I decide to put or not put in my mouth is my business-- 

  I know that from past experiences what her opinion about weight loss is- she is a truly strong person who when she sets her mind to something she does it-- boarder line obsessive.   We are both on our staff Wellness committee and one of our staff members had Gastric Bypass earlier this year- and we were sending her a get well card - at this meeting another member mentioned that she had been thinking about WLS-- and my co worker "N" made a pretty harsh comment about it being the lazy way out and basically shot it down.   

 It is a funny thing because I know that "N" has a cousin who as done really well with the band- but I guess it is just the "easy" way out in her mind!

AND this is precisely why I am not telling anyone right now about my band-- I have my parents and by friend "K" behind me,  and that will have to do for now!    Its a hard place to be in-- I am so excited I want to shout it from the roof-- and then I am also a little scared (just about the actual operation part!) 

It is a beautiful fall day here in Northish Ontario- the fall colors are beautiful!  I love where I live!  Out for a day of yard work and bulb planting!!

Till next time

1 comment:

  1. This is why I kept my band decision to myself at work. People are too nosy and opinionated for my tastes. You're doing great with the preop diet!

    ReplyDelete