Wednesday 3 October 2012

Great Doctor's Appointment!

Wow-- what a great appointment I had today!!


I need to back up a little and explain.  

Two years ago after moving back to my home town I had an accident (horseback riding) that resulted in me breaking my back.   

At that time I did not have a family physician in the area (I had one 4 hours away- however, with the distance it was quite useless!)    My Mom (a former nurse and the local hospital's administrators) called in  a favour to my former Family Doctor- to see if she would take me onto her roster...  

as in most placed in Ontario - there is a major shortage of Family physician in this area-- and all of the doctors in this area are not taking new patients--  thank goodness my Mom asked her as they had never formally removed me from their patient list (BIG bonus) so they said they would be happy to take me on!

Up until my back injury - I had basically had no other health issues-- so my yearly visit was all that I ever saw my family Doc.  

I have felt awkward talking to my Doctor - we will call her Dr.D.   as I work in the hospital with her and I am a firm believer that keeping a professional relationship is important.  But it is hard to do that when you work in a small hospital and Doctors eat with the rest of the staff in the lunch room!  Now don't get me wrong Dr.D has always been the image of professionalism-- but I just never felt really buddy buddy with her!    

Last March I expressed to her about my concerns about my rising weight and my achy feet and bones that related exactly to my weight issues.   She wanted me to focus on eating healthy and not necessarily losing weight--  yah--  cuz that was working for me so far... And that is when I started asking my friend K about her lap band again-- and I got the ball rolling-- it took me until July to get the courage up to actually go see the surgeon and see if it was a good options for me.


ANNNYWAY--- since July when I decided it was the path I needed to take I had been nervous about seeing my family doc- as she didn't know anything about my decision.   When I made my appointment to see her for my pre-op form to be filled out I was so worried about telling her about my decision!  My appointment  kept getting cancelled and moved-- which made me start being paranoid that she didn't approve of the whole procedure! (Crazy how the mind works) 

So- today-- two days before my surgery date (Thank GOODNESS my surgeons office is SO understanding)  I got in for my physical to have my form filled out-- and Dr D was AMAZING!  She did ask me some in depth questions- to ensure that I was fully informed about the whole process-- she said she would be happy to do my 2 week post op check up-- AND she even said she would be open to learning more about the fill process if I wanted her to --- I was in shock!  I walked away feeling on cloud nine--  I am even more confident in my decision!   I wish I hadn't over thought it so much!!  

At the moment...

I am packing all my must have things into my travel bag for tomorrow, my Mom and I will be heading down to the city tomorrow after work (we are staying in a hotel two nights)  I will have a chat with my patient co-ordinator tomorrow to make sure everything is in order and to be told my surgery time (I am really hoping for first thing Friday Morning)    I am also packing some extra supplies in case I stay at my parents house when we get back on Saturday (it will all depend on how I feel)

Got a cute set of new PJs today (don't worry- they were on super sale-- as they wont fit for much longer --tee-hee!!)  that I will wear on my surgery day-- I am so excited-- can you tell?! :o)


I better get packing an clean up this pig pen of a house!  I want to come home to a clean house !

TTYL!

No comments:

Post a Comment